Re: Call for Seconds, Take II

On 19 Sep 1998, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>     Santiago> On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Zed Pobre wrote:
>     >> + this string is reserved for the GNU Hurd operating system.
>     Santiago>                                     GNU/Hurd
>
>     Santiago> [ I think everyone will agree on this ].
>
>  Yes...
>
>  Why "gnu" rather than "hurd" though?

"GNU" is the name of the "complete operating system", Hurd is just the
name of the kernel. I know, you may choose to name operating systems by
its kernels, but in this context (a document which started being a
Linux-only document), it is better to name it by using the GNU word than
not using it, so that people will not think it is something completely
different.

--
 "1464fc282da26db6dd22aaf3d3056c0e" (a truly random sig)