Re: [rms@gnu.org: Free Software Needs Free Documentation]

> I think I have a proposal for a condition to help identify
> documentation which ought to be DFSG-free:
>
> If a document (or other work or part of one) is so closely connected
> to a piece of software that when modifying the software a
> conscientious programmer would wish to make a corresponding change to
> the document, then the document is `part of' the software and must be
> DFSG-free.

I like this definition.  It is better than the one I tried to come up
with.

I do have a couple of test-cases, however...

1) Some HOWTO's, while not distributed with a piece of software,
effectively document a particular piece of software.  For example, the
Firewall-HOWTO describes specific answers to kernel configuration
questions, gives lots of examples of specific invocations of
/sbin/ipfwadm for specific network firewall examples, etc.  A
conscientious programmer modifying the kernel-level firewall code, or
modifying the options to ipfwadm, may wish to make a corresponding
change to the HOWTO, assuming that the programmer is aware of the HOWTO
(it isn't distributed with the kernel or the firewall packages).  Does
the HOWTO count as "part of" the firewall software and must be
DFSG-free?

2) The Xemacs manual (I don't have Emacs installed), while it is most
decidedly "part of" the Xemacs software, also contains material that
RMS has stated is of a "non-technical" nature, and should not be
modified.  (Specifically, the GNU Manifesto, at a first glance).  RMS
has also stated that some GNU manuals (which ones specifically, I do
not know) contain similar "non-techincal" sections, and the copyright
on the manuals forbid deletion or modification of those sections.  The
"technical" sections, which any conscientious programmer would wish to
change, are not subject to those same restrictions, and can be freely
modified.  Should those GNU manuals, or even the GNU software they
document, be in non-free, because the "non-technical" portions can't be
modified?

--
     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our