Re: Why licenses *are* free (was: Re: Why I don't share Manojs fears.

Hi,
>>"Marcus" == Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

 Marcus> Maybe it helps if I rephrase. I think that it does not make
 Marcus> sense to talk about stand alone licenses (and you are talking
 Marcus> about stand alone licenses), because we don't ship them. We
 Marcus> ship software with a copyright attached to it. And we have to
 Marcus> keep the copyright intact, or we are not able to distribute
 Marcus> it at all.

	On the contrrary. Look at what ships /usr/doc/copyright/GPL.
 The package base files ships the licenses un attached to software. We
 ship all the common licesnses stand alone in base-files : Artistic,
 BSD, GPL, and LGPL. We can just as easily have a package called
 copyrights, and put it in a verbatim section (not main, but
 verbatim required/essential).

	Please look at what we do before making statements ao
 authoritatively.

 Marcus> This is why I think this discussion is steering in the wrong
 Marcus> dsirection, because it assumes that we ship licenses, but
 Marcus> essentially we are shipping copyrights attached to other
 Marcus> works.

	/usr/doc/copyright/GPL is not shipped with other packages, so
 this is incorrect. In fact, no package really ships with any of the
 popular licenses, which are kept in /usr/doc/copyright. Debian ships
 all popular licenses stand alone.

 Marcus> I agree for stand alone licenses.

	That means you concede the point for /usr/doc/copyright/GPL.
 That is all I asked in the forst place.

	manoj
--
 "Unibus timeout fatal trap program lost sorry" An error message
 printed by DEC's RSTS operating system for the PDP-11

/var/lib/dpkg/info/base-files.list :
/.
/usr
/usr/doc