Re: [rms@gnu.org: Free Software Needs Free Documentation]

Hi,
>>"Guy" == Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> writes:

 Guy> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:
 >> [Everybody following a different standard would make standards
 pointless.>

 Guy> Yes, of course everybody will agree with you there.

 Guy> But isn't innovation important?  If I come up with a new
 Guy> modified standard, and prominently plaster big warnings all over
 Guy> it that this isn't the original standard, why shouldn't I be
 Guy> allowed to distribute it?  Why shouldn't I be allowed to
 Guy> distribute patches so that programs follow this new standard?
 Guy> What if my idea is a good one and the standards body see it and
 Guy> incorporates it into the next standard?

	Well, it is, I think, fear of the above (profusion of
 standards, etc). In most cases standards bodies have not operated in
 this fashion. People have put up implemntations that go beyond the
 standard, and the standards body looks at current and prior art and
 incorporates the innovations into the standard.

	I personally would not like to allow a standard I create to be
 readily modifiable, for what that matters. If you got ideas, feed 'em
 to me -- and I see about getting them into the standard.

 Guy> Is innovation of standards only allowed to come from the specified
 Guy> standards committee itself?

	The innovation, no. The next version of the standard, yes.

 >> There is always a loss of information when translation
 >> occurs.

 Guy> Manoj, you certainly don't allow anybody to get away with even the
 Guy> tiniest of generalities.

	Oh, sorry. ;-)

 Guy> Of course there is a loss of information when translation
 Guy> occurs.  But surely you're not saying that translations are bad?

	No, I'm not. What I am saying is that I can see authors not
 wanting their baby to be modified and distorted, and releasing
 standards under no-modification-or-translation terms, and I do not
 see this as a threat to the community, indeed, it is not even
 detrimental.

	As long as one may create a standard that borroes from the
 inital standard, but is distinct, and has a distinct name, I think it
 is OK to allow the document into main.

	I am not really talking about ideal licencing here (marcus and
 RMS and co are doing that). I am talking about wht I think is
 detrimental to the community, and shold not be in main, and what I
 think does not harm the community, and, IMHO, should be allowed into
 Debian.

	manoj

--
 A Tale of Two Cities LITE(tm) by Charles Dickens A lawyer who looks
 like a French Nobleman is executed in his place.  The Metamorphosis