Re: [rms@gnu.org: Free Software Needs Free Documentation]

Hi,
>>"Adam" == Adam P Harris <apharris@burrito.onshore.com> writes:

 Adam> Often, i.e., the TEI DTDs (a standard, and a DTD, like most
 Adam> DTDs), the licensing on the standard says that the file name
 Adam> and the title of the document must be changed if the standard
 Adam> is modified. This is sane and is acceptable the DFSG AFAICT.

	I can live with this. Essentially, you are creating a new
 standard, and you have to rename it. I still don't like Maryjanes C
 standard, but, as I saod, I can live with it.

 >> Standards are modified by the standards body, not by any tom
 >> dick, or harry that comes along.  How would things be if Debiian
 >> modifies the FHS, and so does Red Hat, and caldera an so. We all have
 >> our own FHS, and now none of the distributions are using compatible
 >> file layouts.

 Adam> Well, suppose we want to add an appendix to the FHS.  For instance,
 Adam> the FHS doesn't not talk about icons and pixmaps and where shared
 Adam> pixmaps should be placed.  We should feel we have the power to add
 Adam> components to the standard; in this case, probably it would mean a
 Adam> separate *appendix* document.

	Personally, I think that we should make a separate standard,
 called Debians FHS compliant icon location standard. Not much around
 with the FHS. Like we have a web standard that extends the FSSTND.

 Adam> However, I could see cases where we might feel that for the
 Adam> benefit of the developers, it's easier for them to look at the
 Adam> FHS, and our extensions (still compliant with baseline FHS) in
 Adam> the same document.  So couldn't we, shouldn't we, be empowered
 Adam> to retitle the document ("Filesystem Heirarchy Standard,
 Adam> including Debian extensions"), and add a few additional
 Adam> directories, in each case where we are adding, mark the
 Adam> addition as Debian-specific very clearly?

	I think this is indeeed diluting the FHS. As I said, we must
 create our own, rather than adding a rider onto a widely accepted
 standard. It does not matter if we indeed document it.

	If we do indeed create such a new standard, I shall move to
 remove any indication that Debian is FHS compliant, because it won't
 be. It shall be comlaint to our own hacked up standard, that no one
 else follows.

	I have strong views about standards compliance, since I have
 been burned too often.

 >> A plethora of almost same bug subtly different "standards"
 >> dilutes the presence of the standard, and in my opinion, hurts the
 >> software community wirse than proprietary, non free software does. It
 >> divides us, and lowers the efficacy of the stnadardizing effort.

 Adam> I agree, but I don't see why it is *necessarily* a problem if
 Adam> annotated clearly, and if the derivation does not pose as the original
 Adam> in any way.

	Do not start down a slippery slope.

	manoj
--
 "Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy." Howard
 Roark, in Ayn Rand's _The Fountainhead_