Re: PROPOSAL: A mechanism for updating Debian Policy documents

Hi,
>>"Guy" == Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> writes:

 Guy> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

 >> Umm, how does the tech committee figure in this? I meant to
 >> say that say, some one proposes an amendment. After discussion,
 >> people are strongly divided, and it shall take 4 people to send this
 >> to the general developer body. Where does the Tech committee come in?

 Guy> Now I'm confused.  I thought we were talking only about technical
 Guy> proposals?  Either way the rules for who can propose, issue,
 Guy> etc. technical and non-technical proposals are already in the
 Guy> constitution.  Such a four-person rule would be unconstitutional.

	I think we are talking at cross purposes. Are you contending
 that policy be only changed via a general resolution? I think that is
 extraordinarily wasteful of time an d effort, involving as it does
 the whole developer community (not just the policy group); and
 bringning in the full weight of the parliamentary process into the
 policy group.

	If this is true, then the policy mailing list has no
 meaning. And indeed, I shall be forced to campaign against the
 constitution.

	Looking at the powers of the tech committee, the constitution says:
    5. No detailed design work.
       The Technical Committee does not engage in design of new proposals
       and policies. Such design work should be carried out by
       individuals privately or together and discussed in ordinary
       technical policy and design forums.