Re: PROPOSAL: A mechanism for updating Debian Policy documents

> Hi,
> >>"Buddha" == Buddha Buck <bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu> writes:
>
> 	This proposal does not change policy. One of the first things
>  to be done, of this proposal passes, shall be the policy change that
>  would codify it.

Actually, I do see this proposal as changing policy.  I am willing to
accept that this proposal does not change the policy documents, however.

I can accept that since we don't have a working policy for changing the
policy documents, this proposal will be "an undocumented policy for
changing the policy documents, to be documented once the policy is in
place".

I don't have a problem with that ;-).

> 	The fact that I may be a policy maintainer does in no way
>  lessen my ability, as a Debian developer, to send in a proposal to
>  amend policy.

If I implied that your position as a policy maintainer lessened your
ability to propose policy amendments, I sincerely apologise.  I did not
mean that to be the case.  What I meant to convey was that I would
consider it improper for you to modify the language of a policy
amendment, even one that you proposed, when updating the policy manuals.

> 	I would rather not. I want to have an proposal to amend policy
>  pass, and then using the process formally change policy.
>
> 	As far as policy is concerned, we should never be in a
>  hurry. Passing this proposal can allow us fix overdue flaws in policy
>  -- while we debate the formal amendment.

If this is -not- the formal amendment to be added to the policy
document, then I retract any and all criticisms I have made in regard
to the -language- of the proposal.

I would still like some statement to be made in regards to amendments
to the amendments.  I do not mind the "informal" amendment style that
was discussed (author listens to discussion, and submits an amended
proposal, based on the issues raised in the discussion), but I would
like to see some minimal time for debate over an amended amendment.  If
a new version is released too close to the deadline, there may not be
enough time for interested developers to review it before the close of
discussion.  I don't see this as a major problem, but I'd still like to
see it dealt with.

> 	I would also like us all to have a taste of how this new
>  process works before we write it into stone.

Agreed.

--
     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our