Re: Start for a discussion about free documentation in Debian.

Jules Bean wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> Be careful with the equation main == CD.  If that really is your only
> worry, we could create a new debian tag called 'debian-art'.  Into this we
> put magazine articles, graphic novels, and other things which are freely
> distributable, but not modifiable. We would then press this as a (very
> funky) separate CD, giving all debian users a dash of free culture..

I would be very sad if this happened.  You see, the one area where
proprietary software still beats free software hands-down is that of
artwork to go with the program.  This is most visible with games of
course.

Right now there seems to be a general lack of Free Art to go with
the Free Software.  I would like that to change!  And it _is_
changing.  This is not the time to move the line.

As an example, consider the spectrum from an adventure game to a novel
(graphical or otherwise).  A novel in book form is not very
interactive; you can skip to the end if you're curious, but that's
about all.  But once you look at novels in electronic format, there
really is a spectrum.  Now, at what point do you want to say, "The
principles of freedom do not apply to this work"?

I say, there may be a golden time of Free Prose and Free Graphics and
Free Music and Free Everything just around the corner.  I see the
signs of it already.  Let's not give up on that opportunity too lightly.

If Debian takes a stand on this, and stands for Free Content in general
(which is really Free Software and all that goes with it), we could
lead this movement.  But if we accept the assumption that novels and
other artwork need not be free, we may set it back considerably.

Richard Braakman