Re: Start for a discussion about free documentation in Debian.

On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> b) Non-technical documents.
> I listed the following:
>
> 1. Trademarks, Copyrights

I'm playing devil's advocate here, I admit.  But why shouldn't copyright's
be free?  I mean, obviously I can't change the copyright under which you
place your piece of work.  But, if I want to put some unrelated work of
mine under a copyright, and I choose to invent a new copyright (license)
of my own, which I derive from the one you use, why should this upset
you?

For example, you included in your first email a copyright based on the
GPL.  A derivative work of the GPL, in fact.  According to the GPL's
copyright, you have just broken the law.  This strikes me as a little
odd.

> 2. Personal opinions, email quotes
> 3. essays, graphic novels
>
> I think everybody agrees that we don't benefit from changing these, and we
> shouldn't change them. (As this would probably be a violation of the
> personality of the author). Are they only acceptable in non-free (as Jules
> says), or do we allow them in main (Manoj and me)?

Maybe you don't want to change them.  But, before agreeing that they are
OK in main, ask yourself, 'Might I, or might one of our users, want to
create a derived work?'

One of the advantages of main, IMHO, is that I know I can create a dervied
work from anything therein, without carefully reading the license.  I
would not like to give up that right too easily...

Disclaimer: I don't feel as strongly about this as I perhaps seem to.  If
the body of opinion is against me, I will vote with Marcus and Manoj.  But
I raise these issues for completeness..

Jules