Re: PROPOSAL: A mechanism for updating Debian Policy documents

Hi,
>>"Buddha" == Buddha Buck <bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu> writes:

 Buddha> In general, I liked the technical aspects of the proposal.  I
 Buddha> don't like the "voice" of the proposal, however.  To me, it
 Buddha> reads like a mixture of technical details, personal opinion,
 Buddha> and rationale for the changes.

	*Shrug*. And that is indeed what it is. I delibrately kep it
 semi formal, since I do not think somethig like taking over the
 policy documents needs be shrouded in legalese.

 Buddha> I would prefer it if the technical content was decidedly
 Buddha> separate from the non-technical content.

	There si not that much technical content, IMHO, and I think
 that though we need to move from the ad hoc process we had so far, I
 did not want to make it that formal.

 Buddha> I would also prefer it if the language used for the
 Buddha> procedures were more "determinate" -- "A policy maintainers
 Buddha> team _will_ [or _shall_] be selected who will have access..."
 Buddha> rather than "I propose we select/install a group of
 Buddha> people..."

	What difference does it make?

 Buddha> Unfortunately, this would require a massive amendment,
 Buddha> equivilant to rewriting the whole thing.  Unless requested, I
 Buddha> don't feel confident to suggest such a massive amendment at
 Buddha> this time.

	Unless you provide a benefit gained from that process, I
 propose you let it lie ... Do you have anything stronger than
 preference driving this suggestion?

 >> If a consensus is reached by the policy group, then the maintainers
 >> shall enter the amendment into the Policy document, announce the
 >> inclusion in the periodic report, and release a new version.

 Buddha> How will consensus be determined?  Will one opposing
 Buddha> developer be able to force a deadlock?  If not, how many?

	Human judgement? Do we need formal methods, really? I trust we
 have a modicum of common sense and decorum left. If people really are
 in disagreement, they may formally voice an objection; the proposer
 can then poll each objector and ask if their concerns have been
 resolved. If not, we go to the vote. Yes, one opposing voice can ask
 for formal deadlock resolution.

	Shall I add this to the proposal?

 Buddha> For an exceedingly contentious issue where it looks like
 Buddha> progress is being made, is the recommended procedure to
 Buddha> extend debate for a week, then formally table the proposal
 Buddha> while continuing "informal" debate until the proposal can
 Buddha> formally be remade?

	I leave that up to the people on the policy list, to determine
 on a case by case basis. Not everyhing need be codified.

 Buddha> This is a possibly stupid question, but what distinguishes a
 Buddha> technical and non-technical issue?

	Judgement? Ask the technical committee, if they think this is
 a non-technical issue, then it is so. I suspect we should be able to
 tell them apart. If it involves programs, or standards conformance,
 it is probably technical.

 Buddha> In particular, it is possible that a proposal would consist
 Buddha> of both technical and non-technical parts, not necessarily
 Buddha> distinct.

	Get the technical aspects resolved by the committee, than vote
 on the rest.

 Buddha> I think this proposal is in itself an example of this.

	Umm, no. This is basically a procedural proposal, and it sets
 policy. This is not the domain of the technical committee, this is
 the domain of the policy group. We vote on this proposal.

 Buddha> If a consensus cannot be reached on such a proposal, which if
 Buddha> the two deadlock resolution strategies should be used?

	See above. Ask the tech committee. They'll make a ruling.

 >> PROPOSAL: A mechanism for updating Debian Policy documents
 >> Manoj Srivastava<srivasta@debian.org>                 $Revision: 1.5 $

 Buddha> There are several things that should be addressed that
 Buddha> aren't, like how proposals are amended, if developers
 Buddha> (although I would prefer "sponsors") withdraw their seconds
 Buddha> or sponsorship, if proposers can withdraw proposals, etc.

	This is way too heavy. This proposal is not meant to massively
 change the way that the policy group has worked before. This merely
 changes how things enter into the document. The policy group so far
 has debated over the policy being proposed, and traded excerpts back
 and forth, with the assumption that the originator of the idea merge
 in changes.

	I do not want to put the policy group in a straght jacket by
 trying to codify and restrict how they work.

	However, if we want to bring full parliamentary procedures
 into the policy group, speak now. I think that anything that
 convoluted should use the constitutional procedures anyway (which is
 not defined by this document). The policy group has served well
 without formal parliamentary procedures in place; and the
 constitution already defines how one can go through parliamentary
 procedures and get policy amended.

	It would be nice to get the Project Leaders views on this
 proposal.

 Buddha> Right now, it implies that proposals are all-or-nothing, no
 Buddha> amendments possible.  If it were being proposed under it's
 Buddha> own rules (which it implicitly is), it doesn't allow for
 Buddha> changes.  However, since it is obvious that there are
 Buddha> technical details (like the necessary number of seconds) that
 Buddha> Manoj hasn't fully address, I'd have to oppose it, since I
 Buddha> think that sort of thing should be concrete in a proposal.

	So propose your changes, and lets see what the others think
 about it.

	Do we formally need amendments? Would excessive bureaucracy
 stifle the give and take of the policy group? Would not having formal
 amendments require policy maintainers exercising editorial control?

	Do we need more than two seconds? Personally, I think 3
 proponets for an amendment is just right. Comments?

	manoj
--
 God is the tangential point between zero and infinity. Alfred Jarry