Re: [rms@gnu.org: Free Software Needs Free Documentation]

On 7 Aug 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	However, I do not think that standards 	documents (and
>  possibly other categories [personal opinions come to mind]) benefit
>  from being modifiable. In fact, making a modifiable document a
>  standard undermines the validity and acceptance of the standard,
>  since one never knows what one is agreeing to.
>
> 	Other issues of concern: Translations, and re-ormatting into a
>  a different presentation format or conversion into a different
>  encoding (for some documents the layout and presentation maybe very
>  important).

Indeed.  Rendering into a GIF.  Rendering into a hi-res TIFF then
printing.  These are definitely derived works (although in some sense the
underlying information has been copied verbatim).

> 	If we are looking to reuse the DFSG, I think items 1 (Free
>  Redistribution) and 4-9 are perfectly fine; I even think that 2
>  (asking for source code -- preffered form of the document for
>  modification) is OK.

Indeed.  2 is perhaps 'less' important in the case of documentation, but
still valid, I feel.

> 	The problem lies with Derived works. (Would I like a derived
>  work of the ANSI C Standard? Sounds like what MS does)

No problem.

As long as they call it the 'MS C Standard' (with a footnote to the effect
that it is derived from the ANSI C Standard).

Of course, you can't modify a standard.  That would make the noun
'standard' meaningless.  However, I do feel that it is reasonable to want
to modify the sgml document which renders to a standard.  For example, I
take the HTML 4 standard, incorporate in some new features, and title the
resulting document 'HTML 5? A proposal by Jules Bean'.

This seems to me to be a reasonable (hypothetical) action on my part, and
one I would defend my right for.  If I cannot do this, then I am doomed to
follow whatever the standards body decides.  If I can do this, I can show
people my opinions, and let them decide.  And then, six months down the
line, either everyone is now using 'JMLBHTML' (ha!), or they have simply
ignored by badly-thought out standard, and have returned to the fold of
W3C.

I must admit that I don't feel *very* strongly about this.  But, on
balance, I think there is a case to be made for modifiable documents.

Jules