Re: Configuration management, version 5

On Sun, Aug 02, 1998 at 03:42:09PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> That's not what I meant. If someone uses SNMP to change (for example)
> to change the NNTP-server we should use, something needs to act upon
> that change to reconfigure all newsreaders to use that new host.

I would think something needs to export the new value into
/etc/news/servers. Since it is not possible to reconfigure running news
servers anyway.

What is needed is a dependency information and a generation script. i.e.
which generation script needs to be run if which variable is changed.

The generation script is then regenerating the configuration files. The
question is, if the regeneration procress is allowed to overwite local
changes or not.. hmm.. SuSE is overwriting all local changes, its cool to be
able to configure the whole system with one tool, but its lame to try to do
modifications without that tool (and still be able to use the tool
(including the package manager))

Greetings
Bernd
--