Re: package configuration design

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	People like to browse through directory structures. File
>  systems. Web paages. But suddenly present them with a node with
>  several thousand brnaches, and you have lost them.
>
> 	As I said, we should design for tomorrow. Not to the
>  constrains of yesterdays technology ;-). I think that adding
>  logical structure to the list of packages is desirable.

Well we already have a directory structure on the ftp site. The problem is
it's confusing. Is wget in net (makes ftp connections) or web (makes www
connections)? Is kernel-package in admin (helps the admin do something) or
devel (compiles something) or misc? Is lilypond in sound (it typesets music
and can output .midi files) or tex (it can output tex files)?

Personally I tend to discard this structure and have *.deb all symlinked
into an "all" directory on my local mirror and let the tab key sort them
out.

--
see shy jo