Re: Summary[2]: dpkg and alpha/beta versioning

Raul Miller writes:
 > Yann Dirson <ydirson@mygale.org> wrote:
 > > Hey, could someone please explain what a *negative* meaning would be
 > > good for ?  I think I already argumented against that earlier in this
 > > tread (or was it a private mail to Jason ?), but so far I read no
 > > arguments *in favor of* this.
[...]
 > the point is to have a character which sorts before any other printable
 > character that would appear before the empty string, so that pre-release
 > versions can be made to appear before the final version.

Well, I'm quite aware of this "simple" pre-release issues.

My concerns is that, in my understanding, some people seem to want to
add a "negative meaning" to the special char, whatever it will be,
ie. the following will be an ordered sequence:

	1.0~2foo-1
	1.0~1bar-1
	1.0-1

whereas it seems to me more useful and intuitive to give it a
"positive meaning", in which the sequence would be:

	1.0~1foo-1
	1.0~2bar-1
	1.0-1

This leaves the available versionning to be *greater* than the most
recent one used, whereas the "negative" scheme leaves them as *lower*
than the ones already used.  I must say I can't see any use for this,
but I may miss something obvious to others ...

--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@mygale.org> | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
isp-email:   <ydirson@a2points.com> |     support Debian GNU/Linux: