Re: Chosing release goals for slink

Hi,

 Marco> On Jul 11, Marco Budde <Marco.Budde@hqsys.antar.com> wrote:
 >> We should add PGP or GPG support for dpkg, so that we can include a
 >> signature in the deb packages themselves.
 Marco> No, we shouldn't do that because we must have an easy way to sign a
 Marco> package when the PGP key is not on the same computer used to build it.

	Umm, that is not a strong enough a reason for not adding
 signatures; just a reason for not making signature verification
 mandatory.

	If indeed we decide on this, and hooks are added to the
 package management system, then a copy of the debian keyring maybe
 included with dpkg as a fallback, with the understanding that the
 keyring in a well defined place shall be checked first (of course
 verifying the keyring with a built in signature check -- there are
 ways of bootstrapping checks like this).

	If the key does not exist in the keyring, the user may be
 offered a choice to aquire the latest keyring (signed by a well known
 key, of course).

	If the signature is invalid, then the user maybe offered a
 choice to abort installation.

	So, signature verification is doable. Heck, MS does it on
 their net installs, we certainly should be able to.

	manoj
--
 The insolent civility of a proud man is, if possible, more shocking
 than his rudeness could be; because he shows you, by his manner, that