Re: Chosing release goals for slink

--On Fri, Jul 10, 1998 10:13 pm +0200 "James Troup" <james@nocrew.org>
wrote:

> Martin Mitchell <martin@debian.org> writes:
>
>> That's all that comes to mind right now, any other suggestions?
>
> That we release slink before 2038 or so?  These goals (the desirable
> ones, that is) aren't viable if we want slink to not be the disaster
> hamm is.

I thought we had agreed - in fact, I thought that Ian had more or less
mandated - that we would not release slink based on 'goals'.  But that we
would release slink at a set time - and that throughout the implementation
of bold goals, we would maintain full backward compatibility, so a release
can be made half way through.  For example, we could have released hamm
before all packages were libc6, since we have full libc5 support...

Goals are valuable, of course, but we should be bearing in mind that these
are not slink goals, but simply debian goals.

>> * Developer controlled automatic archive maintenance (eg removal of
>>   packages automatically after GPG signed email with list of
>>   packages to delete)
>
> I think this idea, as presented here, is very bad.  Even with sanity
> checks and more thought, I'm not impressed by the idea and don't think
> it would be worth the effort to implement.  We now have people helping
> Guy, and the ftp site should be much less of a problem than it has
> been recently.

Hmm... I don't quite understand your objection.  For example, I think that
if a developer could send a 'backout' message meaning 'my last upload was
screwed up, sorry, please revert to previous version while I prepare a new
one' that would be valuable... or am I wrong?

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |