Re: policy on modules

Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@wiggy.ml.org> writes:
> With the introduction of modutils 2.1.85-12 I think it's time to discuss
> kernel modules in here.
[...]
> I propose a section for this is added to policy manual which states both
> points.

No, I think this is more suitable as a "subpolicy", i.e., sgml
sub-policy, emacsen-common subpolicy, menu subpolicy, etc.  Debian
Policy shouldn't have technical details relating to *specific*
technical areas like kernel modules; it's just too much overhead, and
bloat for the main policy.

> What I'm not entirely sure about is how to handle depmod. Currently
> update-modules doesn't run it, but it might be a good idea to do so.

Can't you pretty easily check whether depmod needs to be run at boot
(using dir mod times vs file mod times) and have it be run from
package installation?  Sorry if this is an ignorant suggestion, I'm
not so familiar with kernel modules.