Re: libc6_2.0.7 release notes...

Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:
> Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:
> > I was just using that as an example of an existing package that had multiple
> > minuses in the version.
> >
> > I didn't make it up, I got it out of hamm:
> >
> >      hamm/hamm/binary-all/doc/libc6-pre2.1-doc_2.0.93-980414-1.deb
>
> Well, it's definitely broken.  Totally unclear what the Debian
> revision is.  Sounds like a good thing for lintian to be checking.
> Using package names or version numbers that violate our standard could
> get us in all kinds of trouble...

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but there *are* cases where a
dash *within* the upstream version makes sense.  I opted for this for
my sp package, which comes out of the jade source package.  Even
though SP comes out of jade sources, it has it's own version number:

  <apharris@burrito:source> nsgmls -v
  nsgmls:I: SP version "1.3"

However, the jade source version is 1.1.  Therefore, I derived a sp
package version number by using both numbers, separated by a dash,
i.e.,

   sp_1.3-1.1-6_i386.deb
      \\\  \\\
       SP   jade version

I really think the way I did it was the most elegant way.