Re: virtual package versions?

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
> 	Umm, I have misgivings about packages providing multiple
>  (virtual) versions. A real package can only provide one version,
>  virtual packages should not have more priviledges.

But what's to prevent a real package from providing multiple virtual
packages? Or multiple instances of the same virtual package? If one but
not the other, why would these be distinct cases?

>  Also, I would like to consider separating the name spaces of the
>  virtual and concrete packages, as far as possible; very rarely can a
>  package emulate another to justify it ``providing'' the other real
>  package. In these cases, both packages should provide a new "virtual"
>  package, and dependents depend on the virtual package.

You mean like (looking at examples where virtual packages versions would
be immediately useful): unzip-crypt shouldn't provide unzip?

> 	Allowing all names to be potentially virtual is something we
>  shall regret, I fear.

You may be right. Do you have any reasons other than clarity of
terminology?

> 	Also, we should not dilute the semantics of the conflict just
>  for virtual packages -- I think that is playing with system
>  stability, in the long run.

In fact, I think this would break some existing cases (but I've
been too lazy to attempt to track these down).

> 	I am for versioned virtual packages, but only if the strict
>  versioning semantics that apply to normal packages also apply to
>  them, anything else may impact apt.

Any implementation of versioned virtual packages will impact apt.

--
Raul