 >> > In which case, this comes out as

 >> or even
 >>
 >> foo_1.2.2-1.2.3alpha-1

 Rob> Whoa.  Are these legal?  Are we sure that it's OK to have an
 Rob> underscore *inside* a version, or to have more than one dash within a
 Rob> version.  By OK, I don't just mean "does dpkg choke on it".

	Nope, they are not. Underscores in upstream version are
 illegal. Please, people, read Chapter 5 of the packaging manual
 before proposing version numbering schemes, this shall save a lot of
 time for all concerned. I am enclosing excerpts of chapter 5 which
 are relevant.

	manoj

5. Version numbering
--------------------

     The version number format is:
     [<epoch>`:']<upstream-version>[`-'<debian-revision>].

     <epoch>
          This is a single unsigned integer, which should usually be small.
          It may be omitted, in which case zero is assumed. If it is
          omitted then the <upstream-version> may not contain any colons.
     <upstream-version>
          This is the main part of the version. It is usually version
          number of the original (`upstream') package of which the `.deb'
          file has been made, if this is applicable. Usually this will be
          in the same format as that specified by the upstream author(s);
          however, it may need to be reformatted to fit into dpkg's format
          and comparison scheme.
          The <upstream-version> may contain only alphanumerics and the
          characters `+' `.' `-' `:' (full stop, plus, hyphen, colon) and
          should start with a digit. If there is no <debian-revision> then
          hyphens are not allowed; if there is no <epoch> then colons are
          not allowed.
     <debian-revision>
          This part of the version represents the version of the
          modifications that were made to the package to make it a Debian
          binary package. It is in the same format as the
          <upstream-version> and dpkg compares it in the same way.

          It is optional; if it isn't present then the <upstream-version>
          may not contain a hyphen. This format represents the case where a
          piece of software was written specifically to be turned into a
          Debian binary package, and so there is only one `debianization'
          of it and therefore no revision indication is required.

          It is conventional to restart the <debian-revision> at `1' each
          time the <upstream-version> is increased.

          dpkg will break the <upstream-version> and <debian-revision>
          apart at the last hyphen in the string. The absence of a
          <debian-revision> compares earlier than the presence of one (but
          note that the <debian-revision> is the least significant part of
          the version number).

          The <debian-revision> may contain only alphanumerics and the
          characters `+' and `.' (plus and full stop).

--
 "I think contraception is disgusting -- people using each other for
 pleasure." Joseph Scheidler, Director, Pro-Life Action League