Re: Proposed amendment (compiling non-free packages from source in main)

Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> writes:

> > And I do want to provide the Qt-CORBA interface.  (I want to build
> > some services that work from both Gnome and KDE - a step towards
> > merging them, if you will, which is not wrong-headed)
>
> I'm confused.
>
> You've specified that the qt configuration bit only affects a few files.
>
> If this is really true, it seems like you could build mico without qt
> configured, take a snapshot of file time stamps, reconfigure it so that
> it supports qt, re-apply the time stamps, then conclude the build.

Actually, in mico 2.0.8, I think the inclusion of the --with-qt flag
only triggers the inclusion of an additional shared library, so that's
mostly a non-issue.

The problem is to design a debian/rules that does different things
depending on whether the user wants to build the non-free/contrib
packages, or not.  ie. If somebody doesn't have Qt installed, they
don't want the package build scripts to be trying to build that
package.

I've got a really simple little scheme that uses a custom shell script
"debconfigure" file (in the debian directory), which takes a rules.in
file and generates a rules file that is appropriate.

I'll ship the package with a rules files that doesn't generate the
non-free/contrib packages.  If somebody wants them, they can go to the
debian directory of the source tree, run "./debconfigure --contrib",
and presto, running dpkg-buildpackage or "fakeroot debian/rules
binary" will build all the packages they want.

As it currently stands, I'm not going to put together mico 2.0.8 right
away.  Gnome needs mico 2.0.5 (actually a hacked up version of it) -
so I've done that instead for now.

Cheers,

 - Jim