Re: Proposed amendment (compiling non-free packages from source in main)

>      * must be manually compilable using only packages from within
>        "main".  It is permissible to have source packages which are
>        also configured to produce binary packages that are not to
>        be installed in "main", and which require tools from outside
>        of "main" to do so.  However, it should be possible to
>        easily edit the debian/rules makefile to not build those
>        additional non-main binary packages.

> Comments?

Well, I would not object to this amendment. (Who should incorportate it into
the Policy though :( - do we have a new policy maintainer yet?)
Just one question -  why drop the package if it could just easily go to
contrib? Contrib is supposed to be included on Official CD and all...
Making this amendment would break the possibility of auto-compile of the
packages. - Except when you append you amendment with requirement that
those "tools" outside of "main" you mentioned must be in either "contrib"
or "non-free" and not conflict with any package in "main".

Alex Y.
--
   _
 _( )_