Re: conffiles versus configuration files

Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:
> However, I am still a little bit confused by the fact that people still
> call them "configuration files". Is any sh-script a configuration file
> for the /bin/sh program?

Technically, anything that is modified to configure the system is a
conffile.

I would like to see a way of manually declaring a file as a conffile.

We have dpkg-divert, which perhaps is adequate, but that's not quite
the same thing.

[I'd also like to see dpkg's ncurses handling be fixed so that when
I background/forground it I don't lose information off the screen.
The way I normally run dpkg (inside screen running under an xterm)
it's really awful.  I've filed a bug report on this, of course.]

--
Raul