Need a policy for /etc/rc?.d/[SK]* ordering?

Hi,

During a discussion on -devel between Joey Schulze, Miquel van
Smoorenburg and myself on the difficulties of adding new shutdown
scripts to /etc/rc0.d, I suggested (slightly jokingly) that debian may
need a policy of number ranges within the startup/shutdown script
sequence managed by update-rc.d.

Not yet having been flamed for such a suggestion, I'm now formally
raising the issue for discussion.

My personal opinion is that update-rc.d should be smart enough to
rename the startup scripts *as long as* it maintains their current
order, which is all that's important anyway.  However, others make
think that too much effort/control/whatever, so I'm open to other
suggestions.  An alternative would be to set aside a range (say
K80-K99 & S00-S19) for system use and require packages with start &
shutdown requirements to exist elsewhere.

Please leave me in the CC list as I'm not subscribed to -devel.

--
Stephen
---