Re: updates to 'stable'

On Tue, May 12, 1998 at 01:58:16AM -0500, Zachary DeAquila wrote:

> What is policy on software updates to the 'stable' tree?  Software there
> is somewhat 'stale' and has unacceptable security risks such as Smail
> lacking the anti-relay features, bind still being v4.9.6, etc.  Should I
> just not run 'stable' ?   (This might mean I shouldn't run Debian at all,
> I understand)

Uploads into stable are still possible, though these may only be
security fixes or fixes for critical bugs.  These uploads go into
bo-updates and will be moved into bo later.  Normal uploads have
to go into unstable.  If you need/provide bo versions of software
please refer to bo-unstable.  Inside of that directory you'll find
a README describing how to do versioning.

Anti-Relay is not a security problem, though there was a security
problem with Smail from bo.  That's why it got updated.

Concerning bind the fixed version has already been uploaded into
bo-updates some time ago and was moved into bo yesterday.

Concerning security problems please refer to
	http://www.debian.org/security/  and
	debian-security-announce@lists.debian.org
The security team publishes updates there.

Regards,

	Joey, who is happy that Debian GNU/Linux 1.3.1r7 materialized
	yesteday.

--
 / Martin Schulze                      http://home.pages.de/~joey/
/ Linux - the choice of a GNU generation          joey@linux.de /