Re: Purging database packages

> When a database package is purged, the implication is that the data
> stored in the database should also be deleted. Therefore I have
> added the instructions to delete the data to postgresql's postrm.
>
> However, since it is possible to flag whole groups of packages for
> purging when using dselect, I feel I ought to protect users against
> inadvertently destroying their data - the package can easily be
> reinstalled, but no-one else can recreate the data.
>
> Therefore I have made the postrm script interactive:
[...]

I had the same problem with the cnews package, the articles are also
some kind of database... I've also choosen the interactive solution
for purging, i.e. asking the user if he wants to remove all the
articles, too. I also wasn't feeling very well about this question...
but I didn't see a better solution. Always removing the data is maybe
too much, and never removing them could leave trash on the disk, maybe
without that the user even knows it :-)

I'd also be interested in some kind of policy here, though I don't can
come up with a good solution myself :-(

Roman