Debian's focus

Of late, there seem to have been a lot of political discussions going on in
this group.  These discussions all are intended to improve Debian:  its
product, its internal operation, and its structure.  These are very
important discussions that need to be held.

  It seems, however, that the time for these discussions should not be now.
Debian is poised at the brink of a major release (2.0 Hamm), and a fair
amount of work needs to be done.

  The departure of Christian leaves a good sized gap in the organization,
and one that will not be easy to fill.  This was seemingly brought about by
too many criticisms of policies and politics at a time when bug fixing is
more important.  We can not afford to lose people like him.

  I would strongly urge that these discussions be tabled for a month or two,
until Hamm is safely on its way.  The aim of Debian is to produce a Linux
Distribution, and at a time when a major release is on the horizon that
should be the primary concern of the organization.

Nils Lohner
lohner@debian.org