Re: first proposal for a new maintainer policy

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:

>  Every package in the distribution must have one or more maintainers
>  at a time (see below).

That's not currently true.  Orphaned packages are not typically
removed from the unstable distribution.  Instead their maintainer is
set to (orphaned) or debian-qa@lists.debian.org.  I prefer the current
practice.

>  Duties of a maintainer
>  Privileges of a maintainer

The proposed constitution already provides outlines these in a better
fashion.

>  Orphaned packages  [first paragraph based on s2.3.2, policy manual]

It seems you agree with what I wrote above.  So you should strike the
"Every package..." sentence I quoted.

And now to the crux of your post.  This is a much more reasonable
suggestion.  My only criticism is of the requirement of a head
maintainer.  The proposed constitution already has a method for
settling technical disagreements between developers.  Choosing a head
maintainer purely so that we can point the finger is disingenuous.

Guy