Re: first proposal for a new maintainer policy

On 28 Apr 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	I prefer the codification of rules that have to be followed
>  and putting them out in the open, rather than continuing to depend on
>  the judgement of a few good people in perpetuity. Some have called my
>  view fascist.
>
>         Codification of laws and rules is not fascism; on the
>  contrary, it has served the masses more often than now. (Tha Magna
>  Carta, and various and sundry constitutions around the world). It all
>  started with Hammurabi codifying the laws, and limiting the power of
>  the technical committee (I mean, the kings).

The Documents you site are sets of rules that "limit" the power of
government over its people, and are certainly not fascist.

The Policy Statement is a set of rules for the behavior of developers, set
down by the "ruling body", sometimes referred to as "the government". When
those rules are viewed as more important than the people participating,
that view is a Fascist one.

Waiting is,

Dwarf