Re: Conflicts between developers and policy

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
> Raul> Since when is "The flight of the Bumble Bee" the right thing to
> Raul> do?
>
>	Since I decided on it. What is to prevent me?

This epitomises the point you insist on missing here.

What prevents you, is YOU.  If it turns out that you are a painful git who
just wants to throw a spanner in the works, then there would very soon be a
consensus to expel you from the project, otherwise you will do the right
thing, because it is the right thing, no coercion required (or available as it
happens).

> 	I want a simple statement that says: Policy is to be
>  followed, with certain riders.

  [Oxford English Dictionary]
  policy[1]: noun.
    prudent conduct, sagacity;
    course or general plan of action (to be) adopted by government, party,
    person etc.

In other words, the fact that we are calling this a ``Policy'' rather than a
``Hovercraft'' implies that it would be prudent for the party in question
(i.e. Debian developers) to use this document as a plan of action.

Therefore any statement to that effect within the policy, would be redundant.

Cheers, Phil.