Debian Developer's Reference - New-Maintainer

Hi Christian,

seems you're in charge of this.  Could you please merge the following
into Debian Developer's Reference after successful discussion here.

We have modified the procedure for becoming a maintainer for Debian
GNU/Linux.  I want to make this public and request its inclusion in
the "Debian Developer's Reference"[2].

1.2 Registering as a Debian developer

    The mail sent to new-maintainer@debian.org has to

    . say who you are,

    . say what is your background, with respect to Debian, Linux and
      Free Software in general

    . say what you plan to do for Debian GNU/Linux,

      If you plan to work on packages, i.e. package new stuff or take
      over ophaned packages, you need to make your intent public on
      debian-devel and contact wnpp@debian.org if needed.

    . contain your preferred user id on our servers (master and va at
      the moment), if you prefer a common login like e.g. 'joey' or
      'chris' you should include alternatives

    . give us some mechanism by which we can verify your real-life
      identity.  For example, any of the following mechanisms would
      suffice:
      * A PGP or RSA key signed by any well-known signature, such as
        any current Debian developer.
      * A scanned (or physically mailed) copy of any formal documents
        certifying your identity (such as a birth certificate,
        national ID card, U.S. Driver's License, etc.).  Please sign
        the image with your PGP key.

      [This is the same as stated in the reference.  Please remove RSA.]

    . A phone number where we may reach you in order to give you a
      short call covering Debian GNU/Linux.  Also some hints about the
      timezone relative to GMT could be a good idea, too.

    . Your public PGP key.

      - It has to be at least 1024 bits big.

      - It has to signed with itself.

      - We (=pgp-update[3]) will update this key with the one on
        public key servers like pgp.net.  This means: If it is not
        included there we'll send it there.

      - We will update the debian keyring with public servers on a
        regular basis and exchange keys - in both directions.

    If any of the above is missing processing your submission will
    take longer.

Please remove the reference of any RSA key as we're only using PGP at
the moment.  We hope to support gnupg later.

[1] That is James Troup, Igor Grobman, Klee Dienes and myself

[2] http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/developers-reference/ch1.html

[3] That is James Troup and Igor Grobman

Regards,

	Joey

 /                             The good thing about standards is /
/ that there are so many to choose from. -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum /