Re: Conflicts between developers and policy

Hi,
>>"Mark" == Mark Baker <mbaker@iee.org> writes:

Mark> On Mon, Apr 27, 1998 at 01:49:33PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava
Mark> wrote:

>> I understand that one may want a little more leeway than say the
>> policy documents are writ in stone (I personally prefer that), but
>> to deny that and make no mention of any mechanism of enforcement of
>> policy is disquieting.

Mark> Ian didn't mention an enforcement policy, because that is
Mark> already clearly mentioned in the constitution---the technical
Mark> committee.

	Hmm. I think I like the idea of the policy documents being the
 law, and the technical committee like the justices, who lay down
 interpretations (which are referred to latter as and adjunct to prior
 law).

	I still find the wording confusing. "All that policy can say
 is whether something conforms to or does not conform to policy". And
 while we are picking nits, there is not statement anywhere that
 policy ought to (should) be followed (is that not an oxymoron?).

	I am not required to follow it, and yet it is authoritative to
 bug filers; I an see a lot of contention developing there. (and
 again, the tech committee is brought in.)

	I guess I mistrust an unknown set of powers-that-be rather
 more than a known quantity. [I am aware this is irrational].

	manoj
 who likes the quiet certitude of the ISO standards
--
 "It turned out that the worm exploited three or four different holes
 in the system. From this, and the fact that we were able to capture