Re: first proposal for a new maintainer policy

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> wrote:
> The reason why we need this requirement, is that we _have_ to detect
> orphaned packages by some automatic procedure. Note, that our
> distribution still contains packages from developers who left over a
> year ago!

I'm not disagreeing with you, necessarily, but I don't see that
these two concepts are necessarily related.

More generally, the only time we really care about a package being
orphaned is when we need a bug to be fixed and that isn't happening.
Anything else introduces two distinct "orphaned" concepts.

[And, of course, the need is much more immediate on some bugs than
on others.]

Of course, if we can anticipate that someone isn't going to be able
to maintain their packages (maybe they got died or something), then
it's better to announce this early on so someone else can pick it
up, but there's no automatic way of dealing with this.

And, of course, non-maintainer releases can be used to keep things
in good shape while we wait for another maintainer to step up.  This
is less desirable than having a good maintainer, but I think it's
acceptable some of the time.

--
Raul