Re: first proposal for a new maintainer policy

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:

> Here is a first draft of such a `maintainer policy.' It would be
> nice if people could give me feedback about it.

I like this proposal.  It satisfies all my concerns with the previous
policy and although I wasn't enthused about the idea of a master
maintainer at first, I'm slowly coming around to the idea.

I'd also like to take this chance to apologise for my original "Intent
to package" mail to debian-devel and the subsequent ones; it wasn't a
good idea.  For the record I don't really think it's a good idea to
flout policy and I regret suggesting that.  I agree with what Manoj
said about the matter[1] (i.e. that you fix policy, not ignore it).
My example of ldconfig was an extremely poor one since it was in the
packaging manual which for a long time was part of dpkg (and thus
subject to the same ``glacial pace of development'') and Christian
corrected it as soon as he took over maintenance of the packaging
manual.

[1] <[🔎] 87bttwbbyj.fsf@tiamat.datasync.com> and
    <[🔎] 8790p0bbj6.fsf@tiamat.datasync.com>

--