Re: changelog vs ChangeLog and policy dictates

Hi

Martin> "Christian Hudon" <chrish@debian.org> writes:
>> Right now, I cat the files together in the right order and install
>> the result as /usr/doc/lynx/changelog.gz It's consistent with other
>> Debian packages, and it allows the whole thing to be extracted
>> automaitcally by a script.

Martin> Consistent with other Debian packages, but not necessarily
Martin> consistent with the other documentation in the package.

	Huh? What does that mean? How can concatenating Changelogs
 that have been split up upstream make it inconsistent with other
 documentation?

Martin> I think here you could symlink changelog.gz to CHANGES2.8.gz
Martin> only. After all, unless you're a lynx developer, do you really
Martin> wish to see such a long history?

	Why not? Does that mean that I shouyld split up/truncate a
 long CHANGES file from upstream on the basis that long changelogs are
 uninteresting? If not, why not?

Martin> Alternatively, I think you could provide one cat'ed file, as
Martin> you do now, and install CHANGES* as well.

	Duplication.

Martin> With your current system it's a major change to the structure
Martin> of the original documentation - I don't think it is
Martin> appropriate for a package maintainer to be changing the
Martin> upstream source so significantly.

	I tend to disagree about the significance of this
 change. I think this is well within the purvue of what a maintainer
 does.

>> Am I the only one who thing this symlink idea ('preserving the
>> upstream changelog name') is just a needless complication?

Martin> It isn't a complication. It is designed to provide consistency
Martin> for both the whole Debian system and each individual package.

	I personally am not convinced of the "consistency with the
 package" idea.  Remeber, we do significantly change package to
 conform to policy (for example, all configuration files in /etc rule,
 and other things to do with the file system structure)

Martin> I haven't seen a path mentioned too often in docs. However
Martin> sometimes the top of a README contains a list of doc files
Martin> that should come with the package. If you change the names of
Martin> some of those files, or combine some of the files into other
Martin> files, it looks quite inconsistent.

	The solution, obviously, is to change that list to be consistent.

	manoj
 who does not think one size fits all in this case
--
 "Now, telephone companies are not stupid, at least for large values
 of 'stupid'." Michael O'Brien (Mr. Protocol)