Re: PROPOSAL: Extrafiles (was Re: Conffiles...)

On Sun, Apr 12, 1998 at 11:23:00PM +0200, Kai Henningsen wrote:
> phil@hands.com (Philip Hands) wrote on 11.04.98 in <[🔎] 2129.892288550@hands.com>:
> > No, I understand the difference --- we were talking about a file that gets
> > created by any of a group of packages, and then gets treated as if it
> > belonged to each of them.  This is just a mess IMHO.
> No. We're talking about extrafiles, that is, listing the files that
> somehow belong to the package, but are not in the .deb.
>
> /usr/bin/vi would need to be mentioned by every vi clone, if this is to
> make any sense.
>
> (Incidentally, one could argue that this is indeed "a file that gets
> created by any of a group of packages".)

In particular, it's not really all that much different to something like
	[ -e /usr/bin/vim ] || ln -s vim /usr/bin/vi
in vim.postinst. It's just better managed.

And I'd certainly expect the above to require vim to list /usr/bin/vi as
one of its extrafiles.

So I'm inclined to at least consider /usr/bin/vi owned by all of the vi
clones. (I'm partially inclined to think that as far as cruft is concerned
it should be listed under the management of alternatives as well, but
that's another matter entirely)

> We want this to be usable in dpkg --search, for example.
> dpkg --search usr/bin/vi

As a demo of what I've already done:

] $ dpkg -S dash-search
] cruft: /usr/bin/dash-search
] $ dpkg -l | grep cruft
] ii  cruft           0.9.3          Find any cruft built up on your system
] $ dash-search /usr/bin/vi
] vim: /usr/bin/vi
] nvi: /usr/bin/vi
] $ cd /usr/lib/cruft/filters
] $ grep '^' vim nvi
] vim:/usr/bin/vi
] nvi:/usr/bin/vi
] $ dash-search /var/spool/news/comp/os/linux/announce/491
] inn: /var/spool/news/comp/os/linux/announce/491
] $ grep 'spool/news' inn
] /var/spool/news/**
] $ _

(this is, of course, only the nice part of dash-search. dash-search
doesn't attempt to cope with partial matches (`usr/bin/vi' won't give
you any matches, even), and it restricts itselfs to cruft's database,
do dpkg --search and dash-search will have pretty much mutually
exclusive output. dash-search will happily tell you the owners of
files that don't exist, too, but then so will dpkg)

FWIW I've uploaded cruft 0.9.3 to master (slink/main/admin) just now.

Cheers,
aj

      ``It's not a vision, or a fear. It's just a thought.''