PW#6-2: Absolute and relative symbolic links

[This mail is part of Debian Policy Weekly issue #6]

Topic 2: Absolute and relative symbolic links

STATE: APPROVAL

Current policy reads (section 3.3.5):

       ``Most symbolic links should be relative, not absolute.
         [...]
         In particular, symbolic links from one part of /usr to another
         should be relative.

         In certain cases, however, relative links may cause more
         problems. For example, links into /etc and /var should be
         absolute.''

If some discussion on debian-policy, we had a consensus about changing this
into something like the following text. If there are no objections, I'll do
so with the next release of the Policy Manual.

         In general, symbolic links within a toplevel directory should be
         relative, and symbolic links pointing from one toplevel directory
         into another should be absolute. (A toplevel directory is a
         sub-directory of the root directory `/'.)

         In addition, symbolic links should be specified as short as
         possible, i.e., link targets like `foo/../bar' are depreciated.