Re: Non-free package documentation requirement

Branden Robinson writes ("Re: Non-free package documentation requirement"):
> Uh, can we have some exception classes to this?
>
> For instance, xtrs is in contrib because it requires the ROM images from
> some very old, long dead computers.  Those images were copyrighted by
> Tandy/Radio Shack and/or Microsoft.  Their current legal status may be
> difficult to determine, and should they happen to belong to the latter, you
> can guess how we'll get laughed at.
>
> I honestly feel my time is better spent working on X than doing a paper
> chase after 20-year old ROM images.
>
> If no exceptions can be made, would someone care to chase this down for me
> by proxy?
>
> Incidentally, xtrs's own copyright is BSD-ish.  They don't get much more
> free than that.

This is already covered, because a free program can be in contrib.
For contrib packages my proposal says:
 A package which is contrib must contain a file
 /usr/doc/<package>/README.contrib-only which describes the reasons for
 the package's placement in contrib.

This is easily satisfied.

Ian.