Re: Non-free package documentation requirement

> I propose the following extra requirement for non-free and contrib
> packages:

Hi.

While I understand the reason for this requirement to appear,
I would suggest to either make it not "requirement" but "strong
encouragement" to the maintainer or alter this requirement
in the following way:

> A package which is non-free must contain a file
> /usr/doc/<package>/README.non-free (or one of its dependencies must
> contain a relevant such file).  This file must contain either:
>
> 1. A copy of an electronic mail message received by the package
> maintainer from the copyright holder(s) denying a request to make the
> package DFSG-free.

Insert here: or a short description of the ongoing discussion.

>  Package maintainers should usually use a standard
> request for this, which is at [INSERT URL/FILENAME].  The request must
> have stated that the response will be made public, and must also be

Upstream author may object to making his response public.
In this case maintainer sould NOT include the response, but just make a
note of that.

> included in the file.
>
>  or
>
> 2. A description by the package maintainer of their unsuccessful
> attempts to communicate with the original author to get a response to
> the request above.  If the author's email address is believed to be
> known this must include at least two emails sent at intervals of at
> least one month.

Insert here: (One email is enough if package upload date is within one
month from the date of the first email).

> A package which is contrib must contain a file
> /usr/doc/<package>/README.contrib-only which describes the reasons for
> the package's placement in contrib.

Thanks.

Alex Y.

--