Re: RFC: Addition of "Builder: " field to non-maintainer compiled binaries

On Wed, Apr 01, 1998 at 03:42:33PM +0100, James Troup wrote:
> [ Redirected to debian-policy; I neither know nor care how it got to
>   debian-private, it does not belong there. ]
>
> Juan Cespedes <cespedes@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I've patched dpkg-buildpackage, dpkg-gencontrol and dpkg-genchanges
> > to use the environment variable "DPKGBUILDER" if it's set, and
> > generate the appropiate "Builder:" field
>
> A behaviour, such as this, controlled solely by an environmental
> variable is IMO broken.  It should be a command line switch like -m.

	That would be difficult.  We can pass that switch to
dpkg-buildpackage, and it will pass other similar switch to
dpkg-genchanges, but we cannot do the same with dpkg-gencontrol
because it's usually called directly from the debian/rules file.  The
only solution I see to tell dpkg-gencontrol to add othe field is using
the environment.

	Would it be ok to use a command line switch to dpkg-buildpackage,
and make it set an environment variable, not intended to be used
standalone, to be used by dpkg-gencontrol?

	Thanks.

--
Juan Cespedes