Replacing upstream libtool with Debian libtool

I've begun having to replace the upstream libtool with the older
but more "correct" Debian libtool in my gtk+ and gimp packages.

This is because the newer libtool violates Debian policy with
-rpath and not dynamically linking dynamic libraries.

What's the proper way to replace upstream libtool with the
Debian libtool? Should it be done in debian/rules?

Right now, I'm doing (before the build process):

1) Copy /usr/share/libtool/lt* over the old lt*
2) automake
3) aclocal
4) autoconf
5) build the package

but I don't know if this is the right thing to do. It's certainly
a pain in the butt to have to do this by hand every time a new
upstream version comes out..

--
Brought to you by the letters A and I and the number 16.
"Ha ha! I have evaded you with the aid of these pasty white mints!"