Re: Hard links

Manoj Srivastava writes:
> 	Being a less common (but still far from rare) operation should
>  not lead to a prohibition in policy. Secondly, I rarely do block
>  copies using cp. cp -a (or cp -d) is the more common means of copying
>  directories; as well as using the tar trick (which is how _I_ copy
>  directories generally).

But that fails if there are cross-directory hard links and you copy one
directory at a time.

> Topi> Then there is consistency issue. Package X uses symlinks but
> Topi> package Y hard links. Why can't they use the same?
>
> 	Because there is more than one way to do it? ;-). Frankly, I
>  would trust the maintainers to decide which flavour of the link to
>  use.

"If you edit this file with emacs, you have to use option
backup-by-copying (whatever), with that file not". Slowaris uses hard links
from /etc/init.d/foo to /etc/rc?.d/S??foo, and that was one reason why I
switched to vi when doing sysadmin stuff.

-Topi