Re: Hard links

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Topi Miettinen wrote:

> - It's hard to notice hard links, they look exactly like normal files
> (AFAIK, there are no tools exept ls -li and find -inum). Many programs
> support symbolic links, including web/ftp servers.

kooij@pc47:/home/kooij> $ ls -l /bin/*grep
-rwxr-xr-x   3 root     root        74228 Mar 15 23:24 /bin/egrep
-rwxr-xr-x   3 root     root        74228 Mar 15 23:24 /bin/fgrep
-rwxr-xr-x   3 root     root        74228 Mar 15 23:24 /bin/grep

IIRC, the "3"'s in the second column indicate the number of files
associated with this inode. Indeed, `man ls` tells me:

       -l, --format=long, --format=verbose
              In  addition  to  the  name of each file, print the
              file type, permissions, number of hard links, owner
              name, group name, size in bytes, and timestamp (the
              modification time unless other times are selected).
              For  files  with  a time that is more than 6 months
              old or more than 1 hour into the future, the times
              tamp  contains the year instead of the time of day.

Cheers,

Joost