Re: CD Splitting

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Jason Gunthorpe writes ("CD Splitting"):
> >   2a - No essential or immediate configure package depends on a package
> >        in a lower section.
>
> What is an `immediate configure' package ?  No Essential package may
> depend on anything that isn't Required.  (I don't know if this is
> stated anywhere, but it clearly should be.)

The algorithm has the ability to Immediately configure a package, right
now this is applied automaticaly the recursive dependancies of all
essential packages, ie if you attempt to install libc6 ie will be unpacked
and then immediately configured because essential packages depend on it.

> > Also some extremely strong words about conflicts/conflicts loops should be
> > added to the policy, they are handled but the removed package is random
> > and may be essential. The algorithm detects and ABORTS on a predepends or
> > depends (with immediate configure) loop, these should be forbidden.
> > Predepends loops are already rendered unistallable by dpkg but immediate
> > configure depends loops are not.
>
> What is a Conflicts/conflicts loop ?  Is that what you discussed on
> debian-devel when I said to deconfigure or deinstall the relevant
> package(s) ?

The thread about sysvinit/kbd discusses it pretty decently. It is when you
have a set of packages and unpacking either of them is impossible because
they conflict with an already installed version. The only way to fix it is
to remove one of the packages.

The case I was talking about with you is not a loop, just a possible
feature.

Jason