Re: need input: essential packages and pre-depends

At 13:48 -0600 1998-03-24, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>	However, in this case, I do see netbase uses ps in the
> postinst to see if the daemaons are awake, and postgresql in the
> preinst to see if the postmaster is running. So two packages use this
> directly.
>
>	In the latter case, it may be better to use
> /var/run/postmaster.pid file or some thing to test for and kill a
> running process. Can netbase be changed too?

The version of netbase I have has the parts in the postinst that use ps
commented out. FWIW, all of the complicated pipelines involving ps in there
could be replaced with:

if ! grep <regexp> /proc/*/status
then
fi

This does require a kernel with proc filesystem support, but so does procps
;-).

--
Joel "Espy" Klecker    <mailto:jk@espy.org>    <http://web.espy.org/>
Debian GNU/Linux Developer...................<http://www.debian.org/>