Re: Problems with build target

Martin Schulze wrote:
> The reason is that inside of debian/rules a stamp-file is used
> to indicate that the build process was successful.  Unfortunately
> this stamp-file is called 'build' - similar to the target I have
> to use.  As there are normaly no depends on the build target
> make will refuse to run the build stage.

But... isn't that what the 'build' stamp is _for_?
It makes sure that if you do "debian/rules build" again, nothing happens.

The stamp is removed by "debian/rules clean", thus ensuring that the
package is re-built the next time build is run.

Building a package without doing a clean first is IMHO broken.  The
proper sequence is the one used by dpkg-buildpackage:
   1. clean
   2. create source package
   3. build
   4. create binary package(s)

With any other sequence you cannot guarantee that the source package
you made will actually build the binary package.

> I'd like to make it policy that the stamp-file is NOT called
> 'build' but something else, I still use stamp-build like in
> the early days - the name is intentional.

What does stamp-build do?

Richard Braakman