Re: Apology to the authors of helper packages

Hi,

Craig> Zed Pobre wrote:
>> packaging, it was Manoj who wrote me a short example script that
>> once I understood it got transcribed almost exactly into the
>> postinst file. And the next time I see that kind of problem, I'll
>> know what code to look at.  At the risk of sounding like an
>> armchair psychologist, I'd
Craig> That's great, for you.  Unfortunately that information is now
Craig> lost or hard to find.  We need to capture this sort of stuff
Craig> and either code it or document it.

	I am working on the documentation part. I intend to create a
 collection of working rules files (I already have made them available
 once on the deban-mentors mailing list). Actually, these shall be
 hand crafted debian directories, which people can use as starting
 points. I hope to havce them on the developers corner soon.

	I do not think that any script can ever match a human who
 knows what they are doing. In the long run eeveryone is better served
 by having people learn how to package the software -- it is not
 exactly rocket science.

>> Looking back upon what I've just written, I'm wondering...  why is
>> this still being discussed in debian-policy, anyway?
Craig> The issue of debhelper scripts came up on here.  As Manoj?
Craig> said, I think, the debhelper scripts can be thought of as an
Craig> implementation of the Debian policy.

	Firstly, I would rather see something undergo more serious
 review, and actually come from the point of plicy conformance
 rather than from the point of helping people package packages when
 they do not know how to do so themselves.

	Looking at the /usr/lib/dh_* scripts, it is obvious they come
 from the latter viewpoint. I do not, unfortunately, have the time at
 the moment to conduct such a review.

	manoj
 not yet convinced to start using helper packages
--
 He who does violence to creatures seeking happiness like himself does
 not find happiness after death. 131