Re: Namespace pollution

Clearly my original proposal should have included an exception for
traditional Unix commands (and probably for POSIX-mandated short
commands).

Oliver Elphick:
> why allow a comma?

The punctuation characters I specified are (I believe) precisely those
which are not metacharacters for the shell and file-manipulating
programs, I believe.  If someone knows of a significant program for
which `,' in a command name would be troubling, please speak up.

Brian and Bruce complain that `single common dictionary word' is unclear
and perhaps too restrictive.  Bruce says:
> I also don't think it defines the collision space well.

I think it defines it well; the problem is people with commands like
`display' or `box' or whatever.  It seems to me that the criterion is
exactly whether the word is common.  Perhaps `dictionary' should be
left out of the definition.

Does anyone have a better description of this class of name ?

Ian.