Re: need input: essential packages and pre-depends

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Santiago Vila wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure if this is the best option, technically it still leaves
> > problems (upgrades of essential depends) and it makes the system less
> > likely to install correctly with the current dpkg/dselect setup.
>
> Probably, but it also makes the system less likely to have a non-working
> essential package during the upgrade.
>
> BTW: Did somebody tried to install just hamm's e2fsprogs
> in a pure bo system and reboot after the upgrade?

I didn't, but I can see the problem. I think this illustrates why
e2fsprogs is essential and should have Pre-Depends only. Any package that
is essential for booting the system should have this, IMO. And any
essential package that is essential for another reason should have
Pre-Depends for that reason, I think.

"Working at all times" really means at all times. Even if you make a
mistake or do stupid things. As long as you don't use any --force flags on
dpkg, essential packages should always be in working order, just because
they are essential.

There was some talk about a "why is this package essential?" manual some
time ago. I think this would be really useful for new developers. Are
there people working on this?

Remco
--
blaakmeer:  1:10pm  up 1 day, 14 min,  8 users,  load average: 1.28, 1.23, 1.27