Re: PW#5-16: Use of /usr/src

Hi,
>>"Ian" == Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

Ian> I have a compromise proposal that I think will satisfy the needs
Ian> of both the `keep the kernel sources out of .deb files' and the
Ian> `we must distribute kernel source' people.
 [proposal deleted]

	Ok. I can do that, if so decided. Not a problem.

Ian> We also have a problem with the libc and kernel headers.  I
Ian> propose that we adopt our usual solution here, of making two
Ian> packages, but that we do not involve the kernel-source packages
Ian> and do something unconnected with them.

	I think this has been solved now. We no longer involve the
 kernel-source packages.

Ian> The package that the libc depends on (libc-kernelheaders perhaps)
Ian> should be a plain .deb file which installs in
Ian> /usr/include/{asm,...}. The libc should specify the version
Ian> number via a dependency, rather than by changing the package
Ian> name, because there is no need or desire to have several sets of
Ian> kernel headers all available in /usr/include.

	There has been a long discussion on this topic. I fail to see
 the advantage of creating a special purpose package just for libc
 purposes.

	I have been informed there is sufficinet interest in a
 kernel-headers package by people tinkering with modules to warrant
 its inclusion in the distribution.

	If kernel headers are to be included anyway (and there are
 really a large number of people who have informed me that they use
 the packages), then it reduces the bureaucratic interaction between
 the libc maintainers and the kernel package maintainers.

	For example, when the kernel-* package maintainers release
 2.0.34, the libc6 maintainer can just upgrade libc6-dev, and point to
 the kernel-headers-2.0.34. No special packages, no prior
 communication between maintainer, no extra synchronization between
 kernel-* maintainers and libc6-dev maintainers on every supported
 architecture required.

	IMHO this is a solved issue.

	manoj

--
 History shows that the human mind, fed by constant accessions of
 knowledge, periodically grows too large for its theoretical